By Jessica Hofheimer, Garmin Ambassador
As a 20-time marathoner, running coach and Pilates teacher, I have learned the importance of a pre-run routine over the years. Particularly as we age, we need to spend the time to prioritize the little things that help prevent injury and help us stay healthy.
Taking a short 5-10 minutes to warm up before heading out for your run will set you up for success and help you achieve your goals, whether you’re new to the sport or are a seasoned athlete.
Warming up allows your body to get prepared and reduces the risk of injury, promoting longevity and enjoyment in the sport — and helping you beat yesterday for years to come!
Here are a few of the benefits of a pre-run routine:
- Activates the muscles that we use for efficient movement patterns and strength in running – particularly the core stabilizers, glutes and hamstrings
- Opens the hips, gently loosening tight muscles, which helps to increase the range of motion and prevent pulls or tears
- Gives you an opportunity to set the intention for your run and dial in your focus
- Increases body awareness and helps you tune into how your body is feeling before you run
- Gets your heart rate up gradually and improves blood flow
*This article is not intended to substitute for informed medical advice. The recommendations shared will be specific to each person. Always check with your doctor before starting a new fitness routine.*