Keeping Your Routine
Establishing a good health routine is easy enough but maintaining one can be difficult. When faced with new norms that impact our everyday lives, the attention to our health routine can be the first thing to go.
This is understandable, but we urge you to pay close attention to your health and wellness. As always, we recommend you consult your physician before beginning any exercise or health regimen.
However, we do believe that now is the time to look after our own well-being. Below are some thought starters on how you can keep control over your daily health.
Go to Bed!
Getting adequate sleep is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself. It helps to support your immunity and is the best relief for stress. Remember, your Garmin device can help you track your sleeping habits and let you know if you are getting a good night’s rest. So what are some steps you can take to make sure you’re getting your daily dose of snoozes?
- Prioritise sleep. Don’t let working from home or your favourite late-night shows interrupt your sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
- Make a before-bed routine. This helps your brain and body recognise that it’s time to go to sleep. Turn off the news, get off your phone and start a ritual of preparing for bed. Make it something that is relaxing and enjoyable. This can be anything from reading, listening to soothing music or audiobooks, meditation, light stretching or even knitting. Our Venu has a breathing exercise that can help your body prepare for sleep.
- Start your day right. Who wants to start their day on the wrong foot? You should develop a new morning routine. Something that makes you want to get out of bed each and every day. This can be as simple as making a nice breakfast, a quick morning workout or yoga session, or a nice cup of coffee on your porch.
Whether your gym is closed or if you are prohibited from going outside, there are still ways you can move. Think about those astronauts who have spent months in a small space station or sailors confined to a ship. They still found ways to stay active, and you can too.
- Get outdoors. If you can still get outside, go for it! You can try hiking, jogging, cycling or trail running. Every Garmin device has a step counter, and most of them offer in-depth activity profiles for outdoor activities. Just remember to practice safety first.
- Workout indoors. If you are confined inside, you can still get in some great workouts. Certain Garmin devices, such as Venu, offer guides on many indoor exercises such as pushups, lunges, squats, jumping jacks and more. Try taking several breaks throughout your day for a quick 5-minute workout or just to move around.
- What are your goals? Reassess your fitness goals. Now might not be the time to have huge fitness goals. Consider designing your fitness routine to be about maintaining positivity as well as personal health.
Eating and Drinking Right
Perhaps just as important as sleep, good nutrition is essential for maintaining your energy, immunity and overall health. Your body needs the right fuel.
- Stay hydrated! First things first: WATER. You should always remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Fortunately, we have a widget on your wearable device that will help you with that.
- You have control of your calories. Now’s the time to experiment. Do you want to learn how to cook? Try a new diet? No time like the present! And remember, it’s always good to eat healthy, but there’s nothing wrong with a few comfort foods when you need that treat.
Being mindful of your stress and what your body needs is an essential and often overlooked method of maintaining healthy habits. Because a lot of us are stuck at home, our work/life balance might start to wobble a little. We might be focused too much on multitasking, keeping up with the news or even just taking on too many chores. If you ever start to feel overwhelmed, take a moment to just breathe.
Now is a great time to practice breathing exercises or even take up meditation. A lot of our wearables have fantastic options for breathing exercises that will help keep you centred and calm.
What Can You Control?
It’s easy to fixate on current events and issues that are beyond your control. While it’s of course important to stay informed, why focus your active mind on things you can’t change? Why not focus on what you do have control over?
Focusing your energy on accomplishable tasks will not only have a positive impact on your mental well-being but will also help you control your stress levels.
Creating a strong awareness of your mental and physical health is an ongoing task. It does take effort, but it offers so many rewards. A good health routine is a great way to start. So why not focus on your mind and body? Our wearables have advanced metrics and features to help you do just that.