Garmin brings valuable health and fitness insights to Forerunner GPS running smartwatches
OLATHE, Kan./June 14, 2021 – Garmin® International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced feature updates for the Forerunner®245, Forerunner 245 Music, Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945 GPS running smartwatches, now available through a free software update.
With this update, athletes can take advantage of the following features:
- Improved VO2 max: Record VO2 max during a trail run activity (can be turned off if desired) and receive a more accurate VO2 max that accounts for difficult terrain or footing when using the “run” activity profile.
- Rate of perceived exertion (RPE) and feel: After a workout, an athlete can record how hard it was and how it felt. These subjective ratings are then uploaded to Garmin Connect™ as part of the activity. Also available on the Forerunner 45 and Forerunner 45S.
- Improved intensity minutes: Find out how and when daily intensity minutes were earned.
Additional updates for the Forerunner 245 and Forerunner 245 Music include:
- Daily suggested workouts: Receive on-device running and cycling daily workout suggestions based on training history, fitness level and recovery time.
Additional updates for the Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 945 include:
- Advanced sleep and sleep score by Firstbeat Analytics™: Right from the wrist, review advanced sleep metrics including sleep stages and receive a sleep score and sleep insights based on the quality and quantity of the previous night’s sleep.
- Ultrarun activity: Log time spent at aid stations while using the ultrarun activity with rest timer.
- Additional animated on-screen workouts: Easy-to-follow workouts, including cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates can be downloaded from the Garmin Connect app and synced directly to the watch.
- Improved fitness age: Receive a more accurate estimate of the body’s “fitness age” using chronological age, activity, resting heart rate and BMI or body fat percentage.1
Athletes can update their Forerunner by pairing the watch with the Garmin Connect app.
Engineered on the inside for life on the outside, Garmin products have revolutionised life for runners, cyclists, swimmers and athletes of all levels and abilities. Committed to developing technology that helps people stay active and elevate performance, Garmin believes every day is an opportunity to innovate and a chance to beat yesterday. Other Garmin fitness brands include Tacx® and Firstbeat Analytics. For more information, follow us at facebook.com/garmin, twitter.com/garminuk, instagram.com/garminuk or youtube.com/garmin.
1 Index™ or Index S2 smart scale (sold separately) required to use body fat percentage metric for fitness age feature
About Garmin International, Inc. Garmin International, Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN). Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin, Forerunner and Tacx are registered trademarks and Garmin Connect, Garmin Express, Firstbeat Analytics and Index are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Notice on Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 26, 2020, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of such Form 10-K is available at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/company/investors/earnings/. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.