Clean Eating with Clean Plates Cookbook

It’s hard to keep up with the numerous fad diets, the latest and greatest superfoods and contradictory advice on what is actually healthy. Whether you associate yourself in a category of vegan, vegetarian, gluten free or carnivore, the most important thing to remember when it comes to making food choices is eating “clean.” Clean eating, defined by author of Clean Plates Cookbook, Jared Koch is “eating good for your health, good for the planet, and good tasting. In other words: healthy, sustainable, and delicious,” said Koch. “It means eating high-quality, real food as often as possible, based on what is right for your body and what stimulates your taste buds.”

Koch also describes the top reasons why clean eating is good for your health, which is included in his cookbook. He states if you’re healthy, you’re more likely to:

  1. Have more energy to enjoy life and live to your fullest potential
  2. Enjoy greater mental clarity for work and play
  3. Maintain emotional equilibrium and a pleasant mood
  4. Suffer from fewer minor ailments, such as colds and allergies
  5. Reduce your risk of contracting potentially fatal diseases, such as cancer and heart disease
  6. Age more slowly and gracefully, starving off problems such as arthritis and Alzheimer’s
  7. Save money by having fewer health-care bills and less time off work
  8. And…look better with clearer skin and a trimmer physique

Now we can’t argue with that.

The cookbook also explains how to learn what your body needs, how to make your food count, rather than counting your food, creating a foundation of your diet from plant-based foods and being mindful when it comes to consuming animal products.

It isn’t practical or fun to eat perfect 24/7. Koch believes in the “80/20” rule, when you eat well 80 percent of the time, and ease up a bit for the remaining 20 percent. Don’t feel guilty enjoying in that 20 percent. “Eat it, enjoy it, and let it go,” Koch.

Koch even includes tips and tricks in sticky situations such as traveling, parties and bars, and eating out. One piece of advice that resonated with us is to eat a good meal before meeting friends or going out for drinks, that way you won’t be tempted to indulge as much. When traveling, pack foods that can easily be carried in your bag such as nuts and dried fruits. The Clean Plates Cookbook is filled with tidbits of information that I never realized before like having your kitchen set up so it’s easier to cook nutritious meals when you have the necessary ingredients and tools. Something really simple that will make your life easier in all aspects.

Recipes included in the cookbook include beverages, eggs, breakfast, and breads, snacks and appetizers, soups, salads, and sides, entrees, desserts, and basics. There is also a section with sample menus to help kick start your journey to healthy and clean eating. I tried my hand at making the arugula with chicken and blueberry salad. I thought it would be perfect for a weeknight meal, or a recipe I could double and easily incorporate into my weekly meal prep. With the blueberries, nuts, and arugula, I knew I was packing my salad with nutrients without sacrificing flavor. The recipe is as follows:

Arugula with Chicken and Blueberries: Serves 4

“In a very large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until cooked through, 5-6 minutes per side. Transwer the chicken to cutting board and let it rest, covered loosely with foil, for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bow, combine the vinegar, shallot, honey, and the remaining oil (1/3 cup/80 mL). In a large bowl, combine the arugula, blueberries, and cheese, with the dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the salad on plates or a platter.

Slice the chicken and arrange it on the salad. Sprinkle with the almost and servce.

You can purchase the cookbook on and if you want to learn more about Clean Plates, visit their website!

Clean Plates logo