Updates & Downloads
Forerunner 301 software version 3.20
as of May 19, 2006
View installation instructions and system requirements
- If current software is older than 2.63 beta, updating will clear your memory. After updating from 2.63 or earlier, please allow extra time for your GPS unit to obtain a good satellite fix before beginning your next activity.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Fixed problem with sending data to Training Center.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Break track up into two parts if user turns Forerunner 301 off in the middle of a run.
- Don't allow max HR to be 0.
- Improve custom target values for workouts.
- When viewing workouts, use speed/pace settings for current workout not current sport.
- Improved conversion of high and low end speed and pace values.
- Allow nRoute to display maps that have been unlocked for this device.
- Fix problem with Data Page Auto Switch not showing Lap Timer Page.
- Don't allow more than the max number of steps in a workout.
- Fix problem with constantly pausing and resuming at certain Autopause values.
- Improved handling of stopping Virtual Partner after a Reset.
- Fixed problem where Flag could not be selected for a waypoint symbol.
- Improved Swedish translations.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 3.00:
- Added MultiSport functionality. Please see Owner's Manual Rev. D or newer. Also, please see our new Quick-Release accessory.
- Reset timer is now forced when deleting a lap of a current run.
- Allowed for deleting entire sport history or entire history for all sports. Removed delete history for one year.
- Fixed bug where interval training count-down alert was sounding when timer was turned off.
- Fixed bug where Virtual Partner history goals were set to zero after training was manually ended.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Added heart rate icon and BPM number to the upper right of the Virtual Partner page.
- Corrected Rest Time display in Interval Training History.
- Fixed problem where last lap in Workout History could never be marked as rest.
- Fixed problem where the wrong number of bytes was sometimes sent for USB get requests.
- Changed lap triggering to not save a lap that starts and ends on the same second.
- Fixed problem where workout steps lasting over 10 minutes would not work correctly.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Updated translations for German and Italian languages.
- Clear active track when current run is deleted from history.
- Fixed bug where rapidly pressing START/STOP/START and then resetting would cause invalid Run data to be stored.
- Fixed bug where AutoPausing would cause Training Center graph to be off.
- Improved track log recording around breaks in the track.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a USB cable to an open USB port. Turn the GPS on.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.