Updates & Downloads
GPS 18 software version 3.30
as of February 2, 2011
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WebUpdater can be used with the USB versions of this product.
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Fixed the GPGGA sentence to report the GPS fix quality indication as '6' when the unit is in dead reckoning phase.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.20:
- Improved reliability of non-volatile memory management.
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
- Improved USB compatibility with Macintosh computers.
- Improvements made to ensure that he unit correctly reports the validity of altitude and vertical speed.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Fixed SBAS compatibility issue with Japanese MSAS system
- Drop WAAS satellites that are not transmitting useful data
- Fixed problem that caused USB connections to fail after leaving the units on for a long period of time
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Fixed NMEA timestamp when unit reports a lost fix.
- Added low-speed velocity masking as a new configuration option.
- Removed board revision from the PGRMT product string.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Added Estimated Position, represented as an ‘E’ in NMEA sentences, as a possible GPS mode indicator. This is displayed when the unit is propagating.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Improved robustness of flash memory handling.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Updated software for use with Garmin marine products.
- Fixed USB compatibility problem with Macintosh computers.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- The WAAS search and selection process has been redesigned to be smarter and more robust in its handling of multiple SBAS service providers.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step 9 and attempt the installation again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Navigate your browser to the C:\Garmin folder (or other folder where you un-zipped the files) and 'drag and drop' the updated software region file to UPDATER.EXE. The correct region file will be named 027300000XXX.rgn, where XXX is the version number of the software you wish to upload. Select the proper communications port (or USB port if you have a GPS18 USB) and click 'OK'. During the upload, the display will indicate 'Software Loading....'. The upload process should take 1-3 minutes to complete. When the upload is completed, the unit will reset itself and turn on normally.
If, for any reason, updater does not completely execute and terminate normally, the GPS 18 system software may be corrupt. If this is the case try step 9 again.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.