Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 60CS software version 4.20
as of May 3, 2007
View installation instructions and system requirements
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.20:
- Improved support for Macintosh USB.
- Corrected support for certain carpool/toll roads types in Austria and Switzerland.
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.10:
- Adds support for Topo Great Britain maps.
- Correctly handles apostrophes and prefixes when displaying European city names and streets.
- Fixes occasional shutdown on highway page.
- Uses updated search process for WAAS and EGNOS satellites.
- Presents only relevant cities as choices given during address or intersection searches.
- Preserves stopwatch lap distance if user goes off of the stopwatch page.
- Corrects profile plot for tracks and routes that cross the Prime Meridian.
- Prevents long idle times during power save GPS mode.
- Sounds anchor drag alarm until reset by the user rather than sounding just a single tone.
- Shows proper units on the map page when reviewing depth contours on the map page.
- Applies map datum only to the Location (selected) field and not to the Location (lat/lon) field.
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.00:
- Improved USB support.
- Fixed problem where excessive track points could be recorded.
Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:
- Added German tide support.
- Added support for extended resolution maps like Minnesota LakeMaster maps.
- Improved Data Review page to show depth or height of structures like bridges on BlueChart maps.
- Corrected track log filtering.
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
- Corrected intermittent USB data transfer.
- Corrected 'Recalculate' option for 'Off Road' navigation.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Fixed transfer problem with custom waypoint symbols.
- Now reports DEM map support to PC software.
- Fixed lockup that could happen when selecting a Tracback point.
- Fixed shutdown caused by viewing some marine light points.
- Fixed problem with Indonesian Southern Grid using wrong longitude of origin.
- Added advanced NMEA support settings to support certain marine autopilot units.
- Fixed problem where the interaction with certain beacon receivers was not displayed.
- Added 'Select Map' option for Address and Intersection searching.
- Fixed problem where waypoint depth was not being saved as invalid when it was unknown.
- Fixed problem where waypoints could not be saved in certain areas of BlueChart maps.
- Fixed lockup that could occur when selecting symbols for waypoints.
- Added warning message about removing batteries when Pressure Trend Recording is always on.
- Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.
- Added Jumpmaster support under Setup.
- Made the way intermittent water areas are drawn more visible.
- Fixed problem where compass pointer could transition to the next turn too quickly.
- Fixed problem with bearing being adjusted improperly when projecting waypoints with a non-zero north reference.
- Fixed lockup that would occur when 'finding by name' and then viewing map information for the point.
- Fixed problem in tide charts where local time axis would not match the station time axis.
- Changed tide stations to show selected date when saved on a calendar day.
- Fixed a potential problem where the wrong number of bytes could be sent for USB get requests.
- Fixed problem with displaying 'Waypoint At Destination' while doing a tracback.
- Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.
- Fixed problem where route recalculation would slowly go to 100% and lock up.
- Improved WAAS search and selection process to be smarter in its handling of multiple SBAS service providers, overlapping service volumes, and exceptional conditions.
- Fixed lockup that could occur when selecting a tracback point.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Corrected baud rate for RTCM communications mode.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Added support for xImage software.
- Improved track log recording in Auto mode.
- Increased the size of the compass pointer on the Compass page.
- Enabled the compass pointer to be shown while navigating a Follow Road route.
- Added a progress indicator when calculating a Follow Road route.
- Increased the precision of the 'project waypoint distance' field.
- Added the ability to independently show or hide entire map families on the Map Setup page.
- Added 'meters per second' as an option for vertical speed units.
- Added an option to the Altimeter Setup page that enables the unit to record pressure trend data while power is off (readings are taken every 15 minutes).
- Added Greek language.
- Updated translations.
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
- Corrected problem with Sight N’ Go not projecting correctly.
- Corrected problem that could occur during compass calibration that could cause incorrect compass readings.
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Corrected problems finding items when results contain characters with diacritic marks.
- Corrected a problem on the Geocache Find page where a Find By Name search could potentially highlight a point past the first correct match.
- Corrected an orientation problem on the Turn Preview Page if the route is calculated close to the first turn.
- Corrected problems with the automatic closing feature of the Turn Preview Page when using German or Italian languages.
- Corrected potential problems resulting from automatic closing of the keyboard.
- Corrected potential problem where invalid characters could be entered into a waypoint comment.
- Corrected potential display problems on the Altimeter Page barometer plot view.
- Corrected contour line colors to increase visibility.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Added Fuel Services option to the Find menu.
- Find-by-name searches now only return a list of items that begin with the input string.
- Added the ability to automatically close the keyboard when six or less items are in a find-map-points-by-name list.
- Improved map colors for contour lines and night mode.
- Corrected memory problem related to Follow Road route calculations.
- Corrected problem with certain alarms working only during active navigation.
- Corrected problem with saved track profile zooming.
- Corrected problem with find-address searches across multiple map sets.
- Corrected problem when finding waypoints and canceling from the Select Symbol filter option.
- Corrected problem with auto daylight savings so that it works for years other than the current year.
- Corrected problem causing an error beep after filling out a text or number field.
- Corrected problem with the Altimeter page when going to the Reset page and clearing the track log.
- Corrected problem with the Calibrate Compass option on the Geocaching Compass page.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Added Marine Colors option to the map setup for displaying BlueCharts similar to MapSource.
- Moved the Day/Night display mode from the map setup to the display setup. It still modifies map colors, but separate color-scheme selections have been added for day and night modes.
- Lock On Road option is no longer turned on when starting a Follow Road route. This feature is only turned on or off manually. Approaching cross-street information is available with Lock On Road turned off.
- Improved guidance text for turns onto on/off ramps or generic roads.
- Added the ability to customize the active track log color on the Track Setup page.
- Updated the backlight behavior so that if the light level is off, then it will be set to the user mid-level when the light key is first pressed.
- Updated translations.
- Corrected a problem with waypoint position averaging when upgrading to new firmware.
- Changed the Recent Finds page “Remove All” option to only remove points from that list.
- Corrected problems on the altimeter page that could cause the unit to shutdown unexpectedly.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open USB port. Turn the GPS on.
- If your computer asks for a driver, please see the software and installation instructions that came with your device, or download and install the USB driver from Garmin's website at www.garmin.com.
- Open the C:\Garmin folder (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named 'Updater' and double click on it.
- You should see the name of your GPS device next to the 'USB Device' option on the Updater program window. Select the 'USB Device' option, then click on 'OK' on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.